The “Contrary to Popular Opinion” Blogathon Is Here!
Back in early December, the fabulous Fritzi Kramer of Movies Silently and I threw out this invitation to our friends in Classic Film Land:
“If you love a movie, performer or director that most fans and critics dismiss, or if you’ve had it up to here listening to praise for someone or something you simply can’t stand, then come sit here by us! The ‘Contrary to Popular Opinion’ Blogathon is about expressing opinions that are liable to get your Classic Movie Fan card revoked. We just figure if we do it together, they can’t kick all of us out…”
And now, the moment your heretical heart has been waiting for is here—the blogathonus is upon us! More than 20 bloggers have stepped forward to defend underrated films, performers or directors, or topple sacred ones from their pedestals. We’re bucking popular sentiment—and maybe ducking an over-ripe tomato or two from the crowd…
Whether you’re a writer or a reader, thank you so much for taking the time to join us, and for helping make my first blogathon such a success! And a huge thank you to my co-host, Fritzi of Movies Silently, for creating the fabulous banners, helping me with my maiden voyage, and being there every step of the way while already juggling so many other things.
Let us know what you think! But please leave your pitchforks and torches in the garage…
Here’s the roster, with hotlinks to the posts:
Sister Celluloid: The Women (anti)
Movies Silently: The Godless Girl (pro)
Critical Retro: Marilyn Monroe (anti)
Hitchcock’s World: Desk Set (anti)
Now Voyaging: Dr. Zhivago (anti)
Cary Grant Won’t Eat You: Some Like It Hot (anti)
Movie Movie Blog Blog: Monsieur Verdoux (anti)
Silver Screenings: The Postman Always Rings Twice (anti)
Writer’s Rest: Arsenic and Old Lace (pro)
Classic Reel Girl: The Band Wagon (anti)
Speakeasy: Kiss Me Deadly (anti)
Caftan Woman: Christmas in Connecticut (anti)
MovieFanFare: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, 1941 (pro)
CJC Leach: Gone With the Wind (anti)
Second Sight Cinema: Stella Dallas (anti)
Moon in Gemini: Jezebel (anti)
Girls Do Film: Federico Fellini (anti)
Silent-ology: Pandora’s Box (anti)
The Movie Rat: Song of the South (pro)
BNoirDetour: Double Indemnity (anti)
Vienna’s Classic Hollywood: The Train Robbers (pro)
Margaret Perry: Doris Day (anti)
Pettibloggery: The Night They Raided Minsky’s (pro)
Mildred’s Fatburgers Best Foot Forward (pro)
Island of Lost Films Birth of a Nation (anti)
- Posted in: Movie Briefs
- Tagged: arsenic and old lace, best foot forward, blogathon, christmas in connecticut, classic film, contrary to popular opinion, desk set, doris day, dr. jekyll and mr. hyde, dr. zhivago, federico fellini, gone with the wind, jexebel, kiss me deadly, lawrence of arabia, marilyn monroe, monsieur verdoux, pandora's box, some like it hot, song of the south, stella dallas, the band wagon, the godless girl, the night they raided minsky's, the postman always rings twice, the train robbers, the women
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941): Better Than You Remember
- Contrary to Popular Opinion…Doctor Zhivago Heal Thyself | Now Voyaging
- Contrary to Popular Opinion: The Postman Should Cut & Run | Silver Screenings
- Some Like It Hot: Only for Men? | Cary Grant Won't Eat You
- Contrary to Popular Opinion Blogathon: Gone with the Wind blows! | CJCLeach
- Contrary to Popular Opinion: Jezebel, or, The Fashion Faux Pas of Doom | MOON IN GEMINI
- Federico Fellini: the argument against | Girls Do Film
- Contrary to Popular Opinion: Thoughts on “Pandora’s Box” | Silent-ology
- Contrary to Popular Opinion, Doris Day Bugs Me | Margaret Perry
- Shame of a Nation | Island of Lost Films
- Arsenic and Old Lace: This Is How Farce Works | Writer's Rest
- Contrary to Popular Opinion Blogathon: Song of the South (1946) | The Movie Rat
- Contrary to Popular Opinion Blogathon: Gone with the Wind blows! | kitknightly
- The Trouble with Stella Dallas | Second Sight Cinema
For the blogathon, from MovieMovieBlogBlog: Chaplin’s MONSIEUR VERDOUX (the “anti” view), at https://moviemovieblogblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/15/charlie-chaplin-in-monsieur-verdoux-1947-way-too-lovable-of-a-killer/
Here is my submission! https://nowvoyaging.wordpress.com/2015/01/17/contrary-to-popular-opinion-doctor-zhivago-heal-thyself/
It’s Happy Holidays time over at Caftan Woman’s place: http://www.caftanwoman.com/2015/01/contrary-to-popular-opinion-blogathon.html
Here’s my link: https://hqofk.wordpress.com/2015/01/15/kiss-me-deadly-1955/
I just wanted to say that this is a GREAT idea for a blogathon, I am looking so forward to reading the entries, and I am really sorry that I just heard of it today because I would have LOVED to participate!!! I’m off to grab a cup of java and settle in for some good readin’!!
Here’s my link: http://secondsightcinema.com/the-trouble-with-stella-dallas
This is such a great idea! My post is here: http://silverscreenings.org/2015/01/15/contrary-to-popular-opinion-the-postman-should-cut-run/
Happy to help everybody — including me — spill these secrets!! Right now I’m in a theatre lobby waiting to see The Hobbit — I promised the hub I’d go with him –but when (if) it ends I’ll set up your hotlink when I get home!! Thank you again for joining us: so happy to have you aboard!!
Here ya go: http://classicreelgirl.blogspot.com/2015/01/why-i-never-joined-band-wagon.html Thank you for hosting!
Here’s my entry: https://cjcleach.wordpress.com/2015/01/18/contrary-to-popular-opinion-blogathon-gone-with-the-wind-blows/
Thanks for hosting!
Mine is ready: http://carygrantwonteatyou.com/some-like-it-hot/
Thanks for hosting and for your own great entry! Leah
Mine is live! https://debravega.wordpress.com/2015/01/18/contrary-to-popular-opinion-jezebel-or-the-fashion-faux-pas-of-doom/
Thanks for hosting! Having a blast reading everyone’s posts!
My post is (finally!) live: https://girlsdofilm.wordpress.com/2015/01/18/federico-fellini-the-argument-against/
Can’t wait to read all the entries.
Here it is at long last. The longest blogathon post yet on “Song of the South”: http://themovierat.com/2015/01/18/contrary-to-popular-opinion-blogathon-song-of-the-south-1946/
If only I had time, I would completely shred Arsenic and Old Lace. Love the contest and maybe I’ll dive into the next one.
Ack, I’m just starting mine now… Should be done by the day’s end!
And my post is away! I’ve read a few of the entries so far and can’t wait to read more. https://silentology.wordpress.com/2015/01/18/contrary-to-popular-opinion-thoughts-on-pandoras-box/
Here’s my contribution about Doris Day – http://margaretperry.org/contrary-to-popular-opinion-doris-day-bugs-me/
FINALLY, FINALLY FINISHED! http://islandoflostfilms.wordpress.com/2015/01/19/shame-of-a-nation/
This blogathon has been such fun. I’ve enjoyed every blog I’ve read — love those fresh takes and contrarian opinions.